Monday, September 5, 2011

Taking to it.


 (Two of my favorite ladies)


Dull day here is boring old Barcelona. Just kidding. Hauled ass all over town, per usual.

Turns out I'm in the wrong Spanish class. Cheating on the placement exam probably wasn't the best idea, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I needed to be in an advanced level to get credit at UVM, but I apparently underestimated my cheating abilities. I managed to place in two levels higher than I needed. After being completely useless in class, not being able to read nor fill out 90% of the first exam, and then mildly crying, the professora finally agreed to let me drop down a level. To make myself feel better afterwards, I treated myself to a caramel frappaccino. #whitegirlproblems.

We had orientation for Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona today too. Useless. It was an hour of boring powerpoints and we got an unwanted binder full of papers that don't apply to us. They did however tell us that we would probably fail the classes we are signed up for (not kidding), and also that if you fell asleep in class you would be shot (also not kidding. They were though, I think.). What I got most out of the whole ordeal is meeting more new friends. After we left one girl and I got sangria and tapas in town, just because. We talked about our home schools, and how we were finally starting to take to the city life. Yay!

I still can't get over how weird it is to be the minority. Sure there are tourists swarming the streets but every time I see a nerdy white guy with a camera around his neck, he's speaking fluent Spanish. Us pathetic Americans that don't speak the language and don't know the customs are constantly being mean-mugged. That or people think they can take advantage of us (enter the waiter today who brought us two plates of potatoes when we only ordered one... this has happened twice to me. Must be some sort of conspiracy). I realize I stick out like a sore thumb but there is no need to be rude. I can't wait to be able to speak Spanish to everyone and look like I live here. There's no hope for Katherine, that broad is too blonde. Although, the Spanish men go crazy over her. And all of our blonde friends. It's funny but a little desperate.

Looks like we're going out on the town tonight. Peace out America, miss you mucho (especially you Maffew).

No comments:

Post a Comment