Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Barca Heat

It is HOT here. Mucho calor. I am dying. I need to be back in Vermont where it's probably already snowing. This heat is a killer if you ever want to go anywhere, by foot or by metro. The metro stations are saunas and if you plan on walking, plan on sweating. I can't wait for cooler weather when I can wear pants and scarves and jackets! I am complaining because I spent 3 hours today hiking around the city looking for a really cheap bazaar/market type thing... but our poor sense of direction ended up getting us lost, and mid hike we stopped for "claras". Its a combo of juice and beer. Its delicious. By the time we found the market it was closed. All that walking for nothing. I am so tired... and also super pathetic for being so tired. One good thing did come out of our excursion though. I found an English book store really close to our home stay! I've been reading a lot during down time, and now I can get more books when I'm done with my current one (suggestions are welcome!)

To try and cool down yesterday we went to the beach after class. Of course though, because we came from class, I didn't have my bathing suit. So I splashed around in the water a bit and was over it pretty quickly, despite the fact that it was my first encounter with the Mediterranean Sea (Yikes!). People like to be naked on the beach, by the way. Something I have no problem with, but don't plan on doing much of.




Afterwards, we had dinner with Feli (our host mom). Cutest woman ever. Our communication is still pretty limited, but we gossiped about the previous students she had stay with her from IES. One girl was apparently CRAZZYYY. She told us we were lovely to have though. Gold stars for Katherine and I! Matt I must have learned how to be charming from hanging out with you so much!

I started classes yesterday. I have two at Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona. "Global Environmental Governance" and "Poverty, Inequality, and Globalization". Woof. My classes as UPF don't start until September 26th though, which is cool, but it will also keep be from getting home until December 23rd because of exams. Looks like I need to change my plane tickets :( They don't accept plane tickets as a reason to miss the exam or take it early.

Alright, I desperately need a siesta (nap)... I think we're going to stay in tonight and watch a movie or something equally as relaxing. We need it. Its been a long week to say the least. Take care, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment