Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Don't Get Arrested"

"Don't get areested." Words of wisdom from Papa Bear prior to departure... hahaha. Thanks. I'll try.

Well after about 11 hours of travel time, we are finally safe and sound in Barcelona, our new home for the next three and a half months. The 7 hour plane ride was just such a pleasant ride with the couple in front of us reclining their seats into a full horizontal position. Their heads were in our laps. Words were said, but apparently they went unheard.Our home stay is a very cute apartment, and very small according to American standards.

We are slowly discovering that the older generations of people do not speak a lick of English. This includes our host mom Felicidad and her 23 year old son as well. Just our luck. Communication is slim, especially at 7am while trying to explain (half asleep) that we don't have school until 10:45 and we are incredible too jet-lagged to be up for a morning spin around the city. Keep in mind we are 6 hours ahead of Eastern/Standard time. Last night Felicidad gave us a tour of the neighborhood though. We live about 2 minutes from everything important. The metro, the bus, some coffee shops, a pharmacy, a grocery store... and the best part, the famous architect Gaudi's old home. This house is built like a fun house, it is the craziest architecture I've seen yet in Spain. I understood Felicidad enough to catch that it is just a regular home to a random family now. I want to be in that family. Matt maybe some day we can live there together!

We just ate breakfast with Felicidad, and now as she goes to a Dr.s appointment we have time to sleep a bit more, and eventually navigate our way to the IES Study Abroad center for orientation. We have a whole list of things to buy beforehand (travel phones, coat hangers, power converters) but they might just have to wait. I think finding our way will be the biggest feat of our day. Baby steps.

I miss home like crazy. I have yet to cry, but as convinced as Katherine is that I have it all together, I am horrified for what experiences will come. The city is beautiful, and though I've only seen a cab ride's worth, I am already in love... but I miss home. I miss Tory and Ginger, I miss speaking English instead of broken Spanish, I miss my family and my friends, I miss Burlington, I miss you Matt. The waterworks will probably come when I start to see pictures on facebook, or if I skype any of you in the States...

Before I head out. I can text via my iPhone on Wifi only with this cool program called Google Voice. It's free to text any cell phone... but I can only use it when I have WiFi. So I won't be reliable with it... but words from home will be comforting (hint hint).

My number is 1-860-385-1817. Texts only!


Adios for now, America. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment