Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spain steals the Gabree family

As I've mentioned a thousand times previously, the Gabrees are in town! Dave and Sandy came in friday morning, with Emily following soon after. When I got out of class I anxiously waited to get a call from the hotel (I must love them) telling me they had arrived. When the time finally came, I went to go see the parentals for the first time since August. Of course by the time I get to the hotel, they're already down the street, buying candied almonds from a street vendor (Dad.). I tried to show them around their part of town, stopping in at a cafe to get "clara"s... a combination of beer and lemon fanta (and or lemonade depending). When Emily called from the hotel, we went back to greet her as well and give her a big "Bienvenidos a Espana!". I made them truck some goods over from the states for me, including my favorite organic body wash, some make-up, and a few long sleeve shirts, but Papa Bear and Emily went over the top by going halvsies on a new camera for me!! Its just a little digital camera, perfect for fitting into my purse and whatnot. Apparently I made it obvious I wanted a camera over here via my blog haha. I intend on buying myself one of those nice Nikon ones once I can actually get a job and afford things. Not to try to pretend I'm a photographer, but simply because I like taking a picture of something and having it actually look like what it was of, without red eye and weird lighting (aka the camera I used to have from sophomore year of highschool haha).


                                                 Casa Batllo
                                                   Sangria and Tapas!

Anyways. We took to the streets, new camera in hand! I walked them down Psg. de Gracia, where all the rich people used to live in the 20th century / still do now. The architecture is really amazing because everyone wanted to show off how rich they were, so a lot of people hired Antoni Gaudi to design their homes. We then stopped for some tapas and sangria at a place where all the tapas on the menu have corresponding pictures. I thought it might be easier for them to understand what they were ordering, because half the time even I will just blindly order something I think sounds good. It ended up being delicious, typical of anything in Barcelona. After our bellies were full, and our heads a little cloudy from overly strong sangria, I took the fam up to Plaza Espana, where the big castle on the mountain is, and took them to the top of the old bull fighting arena. Its now a heinously overdone mall on the inside, but the view of Barcelona from the top is pretty gorgeous. We took a break for naps and showers, and then met up later for dinner with miss Katherine Davis at a restaurant the hotel recommended. Like I said before, I don't know where the nice places are to eat. I don't eat out unless it costs me under 6 euros. Bargain dinners! Dinner was fantastic, as was the wine. Two of the Gabrees' favorite things, me included in that stereotype.



After dinner we all had intentions of going out on the town. I wanted my friends to meet my parents, and vice versa, but the place my friends decided to go to was wayyyy to packed for Mama and Papa. They politely declined the offer and headed to an outdoor bar to sip some wine before jet-lag crashing. Emily on the other hand, stayed out all night with me! The bar that was incredibly packed was a place where you literally pay 3 euros for a glass of ice, a bottle of soda, and they put a big bottle of alcohol on the bar for you. You are free to pour at your leisure. Now... if they did this in the states, that place would get shut down in seconds. People would be in the streets vomiting and or dead. Spaniards though, can handle their alcohol. The American tourists... not so much. Thankfully we were not those people. Well... maybe Drew. Emily got to meet all my friends and some! Then we took her to La Fira, that circus themed bar with the big tent over the dance floor, got some free drinks from the bartenders (how nice), and danced to the American songs all Barcelona bars/clubs play. Apparently the Spanish entertainment industry just isn't up to par with Beyonce and Kid Kudi.

The next morning everyone slept in. Mama and Papa bear didn't even wake up until 12:30! When we were all finally out of bed, we rambled on down to Plaza Catalunya to get coffee and see some sights. Katherine and I's friend Erin joined us for some play time on las Ramblas. We stopped at La Boquerria, the huge market tucked away in the side streets of La Rambla. Its apparently the oldest market in Europe, and the coolest. There's just so much fresh food, fruits, veggies, chocolates, break, meat, fish, candy, smoothies, wine... you name it, they have 30 different kinds of it. Of course the parentals loved it. Dave especially. We lost him about 8 times because of his famous move of disappearing into a side alley to look at something and not telling anyone. But he always came back wielding something yummy he shared with the group, chorizo, cod fritters... oh yes. We then did a short tour of the Gothic area, saw some cool art, bought a few gifts for people who will remain nameless seeing as I don't know who reads this thing (god love ya for doing it). Then I took them to Sagrada Familia, the giant cathedral designed by Gaudi. It really takes your breath away. I hope they liked it.



This day was the longest... after Sagrada, we walked down towards the water in hopes of finding an art fest/market, and ended up stumbling upon the Occupy Wallstreet protests going on in Barcelona. Of course it was called something else... but they had the same concerns. Jobs were a big part of it. Whats funny (or maybe not so funny) about Spain, is it looked like a parade. People were dancing and playing music... something you wouldn't see on the US. We ended up finding the art fest, which was incredibly cool and had lots of handmade crafts (and a techno DJ, which was weird), and then had dinner at an Argentinian style restaurant. Not too shabby. Afterwards, Papa Bear dragged us into a jazz club for a beer and a listen... we only heard about 2/3 of one song before the band packed up, but it was still pretty fun.



That night we took Emily to the bar Chupitos, the bar that only does shots. Glamorous, wild, shots. We made her take one where you roast a marshmallow on an open flame from liquor being lit right on the bar surface. We were all so exhausted we decided to have a relaxing night at a casual bar, where there were no places to sit so we awkwardly stood at the bar until three Spanish boys invited us to sit with them. The language barrier was pretty rough but they loved Katherine for throwing out a few phrases Santos taught us in Mallorca... mean, crude phrases. Also hilarious. They loved it that we knew slang bad words in Spanish.

AƱadir leyenda


The next day we were up at dawn for a tour to Montserrat with Mama and Papa Bear. We had to ride in a van with a few other random tourists and a driver that must have been on cocaine... but it was worth it because Monserrat was beautiful. We took a tram up to the top of the mountain and hiked around, saw the cathedral, got lunch, and bought some fresh local cheese at the mini farmers market. Spain is so cute. I'm so glad I live here sometimes. Then we got to go on a wine tour at a vineyard that is completely organic. It ended with a tasting, of course, and it was so interesting to hear about how different soils/climates/fertilizers create different wines. Also fun... free wine. Lots of it. not only the tasting, but somehow due to confusion at the end of the tour, we got two free bottles of Cava (Spanish champagne)... Not mad. I also got a bottle of wine! My first bottle bought solely for me. Nice wine, that is. Wine to enjoy with friends. Not 1 euro wine to drink straight from the bottle while I'm doing my make-up with Katherine before we go out. Ohhh my life. Of course we ended the night by going to dinner on the Rambla and getting gelato! Yay! Emily almost got mugged by a crazy person, but homegirl knew to grab her bag as he threw himself into her. He definitely tried to steal something from her but she's a champ and wouldn't allow it. Sucks to suck, crazy robber.





Yesterday was the last full day the Gabrees spent in Barcelona. While I was in class they went to the beach, shopped around, ate tapas... then we all met and did a tour of Casa Batllo, which was just as absolutely gorgeous on the inside as it is on the outside. That night, we made the hasty decision to eat at a random restaurant Emily found on her iPhone... turned out to be the best restaurant in Barcelona. No, really. Bill Clinton eats there when he's in Barca. As does Eva Longoria. We ate like movie stars, basically. And... presidents? The waiter was adorably funny, and we even got a live acoustic guitar show during dessert. Oh Spain, you really know how to treat a lady and her family. Today the Gabree family minus me are all going to Valencia, and I will meet them in Seville on Friday.

More to come on the fabulous adventures of Dave, Sandy, Emily, and Grace Gabree... oh and Katherine, because she's the third child now.



WOOOOOOOOOOOF! I keep saying I won't ever write such long blogs but so much happened in one weekend. It's like the first week I was here... all over again. Sorry America! If you read this far I'm proud of you <3

No comments:

Post a Comment