Saturday, November 12, 2011

Here's some mindless nonsense...



I can't really say this week has been very "calm". I had a 20 minute PowerPoint presentation due for my "Poverty, Inequality, and Globalization" class, and a huge Spanish exam. I've also been stressed finding hostels in Amsterdam for when Vick Nish is in town... apparently we made the mistake of choosing the one weekend Amsterdam has a huge festival, meaning hostels were booked up, and if they weren't, you pay through the nose for a (probably dirty) place to lay your head far from the city center. We found one that wasn't too too awful looking... but I guess I shouldn't complain, I'm not going to be in the hostel for anything more than to sleep at night. And to be honest, this festival looks pretty fun.

Other than work and stress, this week has been relatively low-key. I know I probably should be out raging every night and experiencing Barcelona to its fullest... but it get's tiring. We went to this really fun bar Weds night actually, called l'Ovella Negra (translation: Black Sheep). They give you these giant steins for about 3 euros, which is pretty cheap for Barcelona. The thing is, you can buy a mug as a souvenir, and then pay for them to fill it from the tap, or you can do what all college students are famous for and just buy a drink then subtly snag the glass before you leave. In my defense, they're really cool looking. And if it makes anyone feel better, Karma already got me back for it, so no worries.


Feli has been a REAL treat this week. She's come up with this game... to teach us vocabulary about the house. All week she's been teaching us vocab from the kitchen... things like silverwear, pots, pans, fridge, etc. She writes them all down on little papers and makes us run around placing them on the correct items. Now she's written down verbs on little papers and makes us create sentences using the verbs and the vocab. Poor Katherine got so frustrated at the table last night she just put her arms up and said "JESUS!" (in Spanish, of course, haha). Feli also, the other night, lost a tiny itty bitty little piece of an antique door knob somewhere on the street. Homegirl restores old furniture as a hobby (along with doing yoga, pilates, cooking classes... busy woman) and she had found some antique doorknob for a cabinet she's fixing up... but in the process of digging out her keys from her purse, she dropped it on the street and lost the tiniest piece she could possibly lose. She came running upstairs, all flustered, and make Katherine, Alejandro, and I come down to the dark street with flashlights and literally get on our hands and knees looking for something we probably wouldn't have recognized if we saw it. She's a hoot, that Feli.

This weekend is the first weekend in over a month that I've been able to sleep in. First I was with the Gabrees and playing tour guide (a poor one, at best) in Barca, then I was in Seville the next weekend, then Florence, then Ireland. Woof. Traveling the world in a hurry. Needless to say, it was nice to roll around in my bed for an hour this morning instead of getting up to an alarm, earlier than I would for class, and hiding all my valuables in my purse so my fellow hostel mates don't steal them. Tuesday miss Victoria Nishball will be in town! I cannot wait to see her :) It will be so nice just to even see a familiar face. I haven't seen someone I know from the states since I've been here, which, obviously is going to be the case, but a lot of people I know here have friends studying abroad that have visited or similar things like that. A kid from my high school is here, but we both kindof just do out own thing, I've yet to see him. Oh well.

On another note, I just wanted to let a miss Mary-Ann a fast and healthy recovery! My mom mentioned how much you liked my blog, so I figured I would give you a shout out, and also say thank you for all of the useful information about Barcelona you gave me before I left. Some of the cultural stuff has really come in handy :)

See you in 5 weeks America... so soon! Kindof...

No comments:

Post a Comment