Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Head Down Power Through (Part 2)

(I uploaded pictures from Amsterdam onto the previous blog, so go check 'em and enjoi.)


Well, Vicky and I have been just about useless this week. Amsterdam really took a lot out of us, so all day monday we kindof just lazed around. I took Vicky to class with me, so while I was in Spanish class at IES she could use their computer lab to work on her paper for UConn. Of course though, when I got out of Spanish, I found Vicky passed out on the couch in the lounge haha. Then we both went to my next class, where I made her come in with me and learn about Al Jazeera. Look it up if you don't know what it is, it's actually really worth your time. It's a news station coming from Qatar that broadcasts real news about third world countries, not just the bias, "infotainment" news we get from US based agencies (this class is probably my favorite class, so useful to our world today).

Monday night Vicky and I were very generously invited to dinner with Katherine's family. Katherine's mama and her aunt came to visit her in Barcelona... with surprise guest Charlie Davis! Her brother had been telling her all semester he couldn't come visit because of his new job, but they surprised her and brought him along. So cute! Her family is such a riot, they completely explain why Katherine is so loving and funny herself. Well, it happened to be pouring rain monday night, so we made a hasty decision to get out of the downpour and jumped into the first restaurant we could find off La Rambla. Mistake number one. Granted it was a bit late for dinner, but they were completely out of everything. Regardless, we all managed to order delicious meals... or so we thought. We spent the rest of the evening at l'Ovella Negra, the bar that feels like the cavern-bar in Beauty in the Beast (in the words of Kim, Katherine's mom), where we met up with our friends Lila and Mel. It was a fun evening, we all had a few drinks and even made friends with a group of people sitting by us.

The next morning was where it all went south. I woke up with what I thought was a mild stomach ache from maybe having a few drinks the night before. I decided to skip my first class and sleep it off... but there was no sleeping. Things got worse, and fast. Vicky and I both started to experience the worst food poisoning I've ever had. If any of you know me even a little bit, you know throwing up is by far my least favorite thing in the world. I don't do it. I simply just don't. I repress it. I hate it so much. There was just no choice. Unfortunately, I'm so awkward and inexperienced at it, I don't know how to do it correctly... and over the course of the day I managed to actually blow out one of my ear drums. It still feels weird, every time I breathe through my nose I feel like air is going through my left ear. Probably not healthy. Over the course of 12 hours, Vicky and I basically just died. Thank god for Katherine and her mom, who stopped by and gave us a crash course in taking care of ourselves. Katherine played Mama Bear and got us Gatorade, crackers, water, and Pepto. By about 9 pm, we were starting to feel better. At one point, we were both sitting up in our beds, facing each other... all I could say was "What the hell was that?" and Vicky's response was "Bones. We made it." and we pounded it. It was awful, but I'm actually really glad I wasn't alone. I probably would have cried a lot...

Anyways! Feeling brand new today (still a little uneasy and scared to eat, but that's expected), Vicky and I are going to go see some sights. We're actually sore from being sick, so we're hoping that getting some walking done will stretch our muscles. Tomorrow is thanksgiving! Maybe if we're feeling adventurous we'll go out to dinner... HA.

Love you America, love you whoever actually takes the time to read this... see you oh so soon :)

PS. Quick shout out to Iggy - I hear you've still been keeping up with this thing, proud of you! Let's skype again soon, I want to see you in that spaceship again hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment